Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Feeling Needed

I think that one of the things I look forward to most about being a parent is the sense of truly feeling needed by another living being. (No, to the obvious question.)


I know that the pets need us, to open the door, walk them, feed them, etc., but I don't usually feel an emotional need and I don't expect it either. Tonight was different though. There was a thunder storm outside and I was home alone with the pets. I didn't notice the cats reacting, but with each clap of thunder Caramelo came closer to my chair where I was sewing. He laid against it for a minute, but seeing his bed two feet away he got up to go to it. Then it thundered again and he came back to my chair. At this point, I moved his bed closer to me, but that wasn't enough for Caramelo--he put his paws on my knees asked to sit on my lap. I brought him up and with each clap he pushed himself closer against me.


I needed to get up for a minute and when I stood up he clamped onto my arm with his paw. This seems so silly as I write it, but it's what happened. What I found myself doing next is the silliest part--I made a sling and put him in it while I walked around the house. I couldn't help but laugh and I knew I had to take a picture.


Ahh, the sling, something else I can't wait for about motherhood. I think he liked it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, too funny, and sweet.

but, really, your projects are so inspiring. anyway, i could use your help with some curtains i'd like to make... can you and rach come over for a tea-sewing party, please? it's just that, for whatever reason, i can't get over sewing machine phobia.

Anonymous said...

rita...motherhood is all that and more...the best (or worse) part...is that you start needing your child just as much. nowadays, that Nael is all about running around and being mr independent, i have to wait till he's sound asleep to be able to hold him and rock myself to his rythm...

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

you'll make a great mama!

kara has a sewing machine phobia? what! we should start a club--mine has been sealed in a box for over a year. . .

rita you obviously make good use of your's--i didn't know you were such a good seamstress until that amazing dress for B arrived!

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

ps. i didn't know you had a blog. i'll put you on my blogroll.