Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Weekend with Caretaker(s)


(Photos courtesy of Rachel)
Dear Rachel and Katie


Thank you both so much for the wonderful trip to Caretaker Farm.  The name of the farm is truly fitting, for that is exactly how I left feeling.  

Rachel, the drive up and back was so refreshing.  Having time together for intense conversations and comfortable silences and yes, singing at the top of our lungs, was so refreshing.   I can’t help but be reminded of our final trip to Mombassa the week before my family left Kenya.  The way it felt knowing that we would soon be apart but choosing to ignore it and live fully.  At the same time, now that we are adults and have experienced the separation, knowing that our friendship survived and will continue to, the impending change is a just a little let frightening.



Katie, visiting you at the farm let me see you in your element.  You seem so right at home living outdoors, nurturing plants and animals, absorbing all there is to learn about feeding others.  I am so thankful to have visited you there.  


So much of the trip filled my soul with joy, getting to experience so many things I have only ever dreamed about, picking ramps, doing yoga outdoors, cooking in a farmhouse kitchen, buying maple syrup from the maker’s kitchen.  And, it reminded me to do more of some things I’ve forgotten how to do: rest and wander.  



I returned back from the trip to two whirlwind weeks at work, self imposed crafty deadlines, and other demands I set on myself.  All of this makes me  appreciate the trip so much more now than I did when I got back.  Thank you both so much for such a great weekend, but even more for both of your friendships.



No comments: